8 Signs Your Child isn’t Brushing Their Teeth
If there’s one thing that parents often wish for, it’s eyes in the back of their head—at least that’s how the expression goes. As a parent, what you really mean is that you wish you could keep close watch over your children, protecting them at every turn and optimizing their well-being.
Tooth brushing is often the first responsibility you give to your child and it is also frequently the task your child may choose to use to assert his or her independence. When your little ones are home all day, it’s easy to monitor their dental care habits; however, all children reach an age when close observation becomes impossible and you have to simply trust them. Of course, with that trust, you want assurance that your child’s health isn’t at risk; if, for example, they decide to regularly skip brushing their teeth. You might not be able to sprout eyes in the back of your head, but you can certainly make your kids believe you do with these eight clues that your child isn’t brushing their teeth.
Clues Your Child isn’t Brushing
- Your child is done brushing quickly. Even children with baby teeth need to brush for at least two minutes. If you discover your child is rapidly done brushing, help him or her understand the importance of brushing every portion of their mouth carefully. Use music to inspire them to brush for the full two minutes.
- A dry toothbrush rests in the holder. Getting a toothbrush that is used on a regular basis dry is about as easy as pulling teeth. If you notice that your child’s toothbrush is dry, it’s a sure sign he or she hasn’t brushed. Check their toothbrush and follow up with your child.
- Food particles are still lurking in your child’s smile. If your child emerges from the bathroom proudly proclaiming completion of a thorough tooth brushing—ask for a smile. If particles of food remain, send your child back to the bathroom for a brushing do-over.
- Perform the “squeak test.” Ask your child to wet their finger and rub it quickly across their teeth. If a squeaking sound resonates, your child has “squeaky clean” teeth and has carefully brushed their teeth.
- Your child has a white tongue. Clean tongues are pink. Tongues with bacteria lurking are white. Make sure your child knows to brush their tongue as well as their teeth for complete dental care.
- Bottomless dental floss. Flossing daily is as important as twice-daily brushing. You can monitor the bathroom garbage can for floss strings. You can also floss at the same time and keep pace with your child—the two of you should run out of floss at about the same time.
- Your child has bad breath. Bad breath, especially at a young age, is often the result of bacteria buildup caused by food particles that may still be hanging around. Do a breath check and send your little one in for a brushing if it’s anything less than pleasant.
- Cavities. If your child develops dental issues, such as cavities or tooth pain, seek the advice of an affordable dentist in Warren. This is an obvious sign that your child is skipping all or part of their dental care routine. Your family dentistry experts can offer additional tips to help keep your kids excited about brushing.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Warren, call Gentle Dental of Warren today at (586) 933-5516 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Warren. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Warren, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Warren.